I’ve always thought of James Harden as a beard guru, but even the greats need to turn to someone for help at some points.
This is the latest ad from Foot Locker in theory promoting their NBA gear, but mostly it’s a lot of Harden and a little Anthony Davis. And a lot of the beard guru guy.
Foot Locker has been doing pretty well on the ad front lately.
Tags: Anthony Davis, Houston Rockets, James Harden, New Orleans Pelicans
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• League Pass alert:
We are excited to announce our new #PizzaGuy- @BenMcLemore of the @SacramentoKings! Welcome to the @PizzaGuys family! pic.twitter.com/DUQEu9sKpC
— Pizza Guys (@PizzaGuys) September 15, 2014
(For those of you confused, let me explain. One of the joys of the NBA League Pass that brings you all the NBA games is it uses local broadcasts, which means you get local commercials. Some of those are just classically bad. One of the League Pass regulars’ favorites — including mine — was Isaiah Thomas in Sacramento as the spokesman for Pizza Guy. Just great ads. Then Thomas went to Phoenix this summer. Now McLemore is the new Pizza Guy. This is big.)
• If you haven’t read the scouting report that got Danny Ferry in trouble, here you go.
• You know that whole week off the NBA is taking around the All-Star Break? It means every team has another one or two back-to-backs this year. That is not good for the game ($$ story).
• Nick Young‘s girlfriend pop star Iggy Azalea is better at trick shots than you:
• Jamal Crawford got married this summer and Sir Mix-a-Lot performed at the wedding. What else did you expect?
• Former NBA player Keyon Dooling writes about the abuse he suffered as a child and his recovery. Powerful stuff.
• Jalen Rose still has an issue with Chris Webber (and he talks about other stuff, too).
• Veteran Caron Butler wants to lead the young Pistons team this year.
• It’s hard to see a way that Greg Oden is back in the NBA anytime soon. If ever.
• If you missed it from last month, Adidas decorated the Great Wall of China for John Wall.
• The City of Charlotte is pumping in $33.5 million for arena upgrades. Because that’s what city funds should go for (*cough*).
• Former NBA player Jonny Flynn signed with the Italian team Orlandina Basket.
• Former NBA guard Sundiata Gaines signed with Sidigas Avellino in Italy.
• Devin Ebanks inked a contract with Herzliya of the Ligat HaAl.
• Chris Bosh enjoys his celebrity.
Chris Bosh photobombing Mathew McConaughey at the #Emmys on @eonline pic.twitter.com/qDKhKEAEQk
— Jorge Sedano (@SedanoESPN) August 25, 2014
Tags: Caron Butler, Chris Bosh, Detroit Pistons, Greg Oden, Isaiah Thomas, Jamal Crawford, John Wall, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat, Nick Young, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards
Tim Duncan loves “The Punisher” comic book — he had a Punisher knee brace for a while.
Duncan also owns a Black Jack Speed Shop, a customizing garage in San Antonio.
Now those things are coming together — in an upcoming Punisher comic book Duncan and his shop will customize a car for the antihero. From the Black Jack Speed Shop facebook page:
Ok Tim Duncan and Punisher Fans; this is what you have all been waiting for! Thank You to our Friends at Heroes and Fantasies, Marvel Comics and Gunn Automotive group. We are proud to announce a very special release of The Punisher featuring TD!!! Tim and BlackJack will also be building a replica of the car featured in the comic! Want to win this Car??? All of the proceeds from this auction will be donated to a local San Antonio Charity! Stay tuned to Win!!! #blackjackspeedshopbuilt
Guaranteed Duncan likes this better than another trip to the All-Star Game.
And tying in a charity is just what heroes do.
Tags: San Antonio Spurs, Tim Duncan